[linux-elitists] [thaths@gmail.com: Re: [silk] FOSS.IN]

Bob Bernstein rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us
Sun Dec 25 16:24:31 PST 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Thaths <thaths@gmail.com> -----

> ...the schooling system tends to drain the passion out of students
> and makes them into automatons who regurgitate memoried facts to
> gain higher marks. The pressures of getting into a good college and
> getting a well-paid and steady job drain whatever passion remains.

Are these (supposed) phenomena more prevalent in undergraduate CS
programs than in others? I think most English and psych majors know
about bad instruction.

Undergraduate CS education as I experienced it was not all that
conducive to hackerhood, but I blamed the school for succumbing to
M$'s bottom-less pocket-book which floods schools with M$ developer
software. See how passionate you are about coding if your first C++
experience is with some M$ "Visual" product! Worse yet, try to
translate that experience into something that will help you with
autoconf and gcc!

So, how much "educational" software has Bill Gates "donated" to
schools in India?

--
Bob Bernstein

Today's mandatory Nietzsche quote:

"...deception, flattering, lying and cheating, talking behind the
back, posing, living in borrowed splendor, being masked, the
disguise of convention, acting a role before others and before
oneself -- in short, the constant fluttering around the single
flame of vanity is so much the rule and the law that almost nothing
is more incomprehensible than how an honest and pure urge for truth
could make its appearance among men."

(On Truth and Lie in the Extra-moral Sense)