[linux-elitists] Re: FOSS.IN

Jonathan Corbet corbet-elite@lwn.net
Sat Dec 24 08:37:59 PST 2005

Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> passed on:

> #include i-was-not-at-foss.il
> [...]
> 4. IMO, FOSS.IL nee Linux Bangalore have concentrated more on the
> splash they make than the impact they have on young hackers. There is
> nothing wrong in this shock-and-awe approach. It just isn't the right
> one to foster more Open Source participation, especially in terms of
> code, from hackers in India.

I'm not on the original list where this was posted...but I'd be awfully
curious to know just where this opinion comes from.  If the event
organizers were really looking for splash, it seems to me they might
have actually put some effort into promoting FOSS.IN.  As it was, it was
almost a stealth conference, especially outside of India.

What I saw was a concerted effort to draw people into the process, with
a great many talks on how to participate and a whole set of dedicated
"BOF rooms" where people could get together and talk.  It was almost
like a boot camp for people who, if maybe not wanting to be community
leaders right away, at least want to work with free software.

There was apparently some weird politics going on before event; I think
we're seeing a remainder from that.

jon