[linux-elitists] mini-markup language?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Fri Aug 26 05:42:17 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 20:02 -0700, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> begin  Don Marti  quotation:
> > What's a good lightweight markup language to actually
> > write in?
>
> I've started using reST stuff in docutils.  It's in the python-docutils
> package.
>
> To quote the developers, "It's a common itch, oft scratched." and you'll
> find a zillion tools out there.  Each makes compromises, selects which
> formats to output, and otherwise sucks in its own subtle way.

I vote for this. It looks like a wiki style of notation, but produces
some very nice results.

> The big reason I went with reST was because of an LJ article about
> Clinton R. Nixon (who I knew from other fora).  He seems to have some
> crazy scripts that make it spit out Scribus nonsense, though I've never
> found his code anywhere.

The nice thing about reStructuredText, simplicity and the quick
reference is easy to understand and completely lazy-ified.

Homeshizzle fo' reST be:
        http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

Da QuickFizzle cut'n you dis place:
        http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html

Thanks, Nick... err yeah, another thing I get to learn.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing.