[linux-elitists] mini-markup language?

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Thu Aug 25 16:19:21 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:29, Don Marti wrote:
> What's a good lightweight markup language to actually
> write in?

> I don't want the markup language to be tied to a Wiki,
> although the Wiki markup conventions are fine.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Wiki? I find it quite handy to
fire up a MediaWiki instance on a private Web server and "compile" my
documents via a small script that fires them off to the server as an
edit, reads the resulting HTML and then saves it with some
post-processing. This gets me a Web-browsable database of all of my
document sources if I want and template processing. It also copes with
those hard-to-reach things that many simple markup languages don't cope
with like tables, images, etc.

The down side is that it's tied to HTML output. If someone wrote a
decent way to manage the up-and-coming export feature in mediawiki to
support a "save as"-like functionality, I might have to have their
children... It would have to fully render (e.g. cope with templates,
etc) first and THEN export though, which I don't think current (beta)
export does.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith