[linux-elitists] apropos of nothing

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Aug 4 07:12:22 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 08:30 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 20:15, Modus Operandi wrote:
> >     Intuitively, I suppose that apt-get is installing a working binary,
> >     while CPAN is trying to build the Perl module from sources (and
> >     sometimes hanging up on some dependencies along the way.) But it
> >     would be nice to know for sure, instead of just guessing.
>
> That's right. Installing from CPAN is akin to installing some random source
> tarball. Just say no.
>
> We in the RPM world are blessed with cpan2rpm, which makes keeping the
> compiled-from-source stuff to a minimum a lot easier. Take that, Debian
> hippies!

Ever heard of "dh-make-perl"?

Far, far better implementation than that cpan2rpm crap you call making
it easier.

The best part of this whole story, is that *IF* someone DOES decide to
upload a module or set of modules to the Debian archive, the package
made by dh-make-perl will be upgraded as well, providing it is newer in
its version... or even sub-version.

Now, what was that about Debian Hippies? If you don't use it and don't
understand it, please in all respects, don't resort to name calling...
you RPM-FACIST! And yes, I use rpm. I am currently still supporting many
systems that use rpm as the primary means for package
pseudo-management.

By pseudo, package management is all about quality control. How many RPM
distributions have POLICY behind package management and redundancy?
Policy requiring many check by satisfied, specifically about how
compliant it must be to be included, what changes must be done to allow
distribution... etc.

I knew of only one, but that now has gone by the wayside.

Have a nice day, Simon.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

For technology that is