[linux-elitists] apropos of nothing

Simon Perreault nomis80@nomis80.org
Wed Aug 3 05:30:54 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 20:15, Modus Operandi wrote:
>     Intuitively, I suppose that apt-get is installing a working binary,
>     while CPAN is trying to build the Perl module from sources (and
>     sometimes hanging up on some dependencies along the way.) But it
>     would be nice to know for sure, instead of just guessing.

That's right. Installing from CPAN is akin to installing some random source
tarball. Just say no.

We in the RPM world are blessed with cpan2rpm, which makes keeping the
compiled-from-source stuff to a minimum a lot easier. Take that, Debian
hippies!

--
Simon Perreault <nomis80@nomis80.org> -- http://nomis80.org