[linux-elitists] Science!

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Sat Apr 16 18:29:21 PDT 2005

In the immortal words of Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>:
> begin  Bob Bernstein quotation of Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 02:59:49AM -0400:
>
> > "We implemented our scatter/gather I/O server in Simula-67, augmented
> > with opportunistically pipelined extensions."
> >
> > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&e=1&u=/nm/odd_gibberish_dc
>
> Looks like it's that "conference or spam?" conference
> from this thread...
>
> http://zgp.org/linux-elitists/20050219031201.GI9534@localhost.localdomain.html

  Also, take a look at this:

	http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/scigen/

  A CGI demo of the software used to generate the paper. It uses LaTeX
  to generate very professional-looking academic gobbledygook, complete
  with diagrams, flowcharts and graphs of meaningless data. The best
  thing about the CGI demo is that you can download the source files as
  a .tgz (in case you want to generate DVI output, or do other TeX-y
  outputs that the CGI demo doesn't.)

  The code for SCIgen is released under GPL, and is currently available
  via anonymous CVS, using the "empty string" password:

  % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu:/cvs login
  Logging in to :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu:2401/cvs
  CVS password: _press return_
  % cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.pdos.csail.mit.edu:/cvs co -P scigen