[linux-elitists] Re: Integrating the firewall and the package manager?

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Fri Apr 15 18:10:14 PDT 2005

Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer@videotron.ca> writes:
> Mark van Walraven wrote:

>> Disclaimer: I am one of the very few people in the world that thinks
>> that /etc/init.d/iptables is a good idea ...
>
> So do I ... please, have me enlightned : what is the argument *against*
> making the firewall a service ?

The reason I don't put it in /etc/init.d is because it's brought up
automatically with the interface.  Less window of vulnerability, less
chance for confusion/mistakes, etc.  I'm sure most distros offer a way
to do this; debian certainly does.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>