[linux-elitists] Integrating the firewall and the package manager?

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Apr 13 14:10:51 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 07:32 -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> begin  Martin Pool quotation of Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:53:54PM +1000:
>
> > What might be nice is to have the daemon claim responsibility for those
> > ports, so some kind of interface can say "do you want to allow
> > connections", or "this daemon can't be used because..."
>
> ...you have already installed the package
> "no-open-port-80", which conflicts with it.
>
> Remove no-open-port-80 and install / Cancel installation
>
> Seth Schoen and I once discussed
> the idea of "antipackages"
> http://www.advogato.org/person/schoen/diary.html?start=138

MMM, Tasty. I can see a whole slew of possibilities that way.

Time to fire-up equivs and make a few of these things.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux