rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Tue Sep 28 12:31:20 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 11:07, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 11:59, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > Between SPF and XBL/SBL I drop a ton of spam at the SMTP stage, but
> > it's still clogging my pipe.
>
> I use rbldns-list.dsbl.org and cbl.abuseat.org and they work pretty

Spamhaus XBL includes the CBL. sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org is indeed a very
good choice for conservative spam filtering. I've been using it only a
couple days, still watching logs closely, but the few it caught did
definitely sound like spam ... if you can judge from the envelope:
something like fdkjhvwefpijvipwnb@hotmail.com coming from Portugal, for
example.

For some sites I'm going to get more aggressive than that and use
dynamic IP blocks. I feel like a hypocrite in doing so since those
lists used to block ME, but unfortunately it seems to be a very strong
antispam measure.
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0