rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Tue Sep 28 08:59:17 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 10:22, Rick Bradley wrote:

> > SPF is an anti-joe-jobbing technology, with third-party cooperation.  It
> > does relatively little against spam.
>
> That's definitely why we're looking at it.

Let me just drop in a few small points, since spam is starting to be a
major problem for my connection (not my mail server, but the bandwidth
of my connection).

SPF is a big help. As is the DNSBL at Spamhaus. I hated blacklists for a
long time, because they punished ME by restricting my access to
legitimate mail senders, based on their choice of provider. Spamhaus's
XBL/SBL is the first blacklist that I've seen that maintains a decent
list of ONLY OFFENDERS. Very nice.

Between SPF and XBL/SBL I drop a ton of spam at the SMTP stage, but it's
still clogging my pipe.

I'm about to start looking into anti-virus milters that can ID the virus
before reading the whole message. It's getting pretty bad.

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs