rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Sat Sep 25 07:22:33 PDT 2004

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [040924 23:39]:
> > I've been seeing exponential growth in spam counts over the past year.
>
> I'm seeing doubling at 6-9 months.

I'm seeing doubling roughly every two months.

> > The jury's still out until the statistics have been averaged out for a
> > while, but in 24 hours I went from ~4,000 spams per day down to just
> > over 1,300 spams in one day.
> >
> > I presume the growth curve will still be mostly exponential, but being
> > able to step back six months on the curve with a few minutes of work is
> > a godsend.
>
> You've bought yourself one doubling period.  Maybe less.

After just a couple of days of stats it looks like just at 1,000 a day
now, which would put me back two periods, or 4 months, presuming the
same trending in the future.  I would rather be at last weeks point 4
months from now than where I was otherwise headed, but you're right in
that I'm just buying myself days rather than "solving" the problem.  So
far any time the problem gets unmanageable I've found a way to
dramatically decrease the impact to me.  Filtering has become so
effective now for me that I'm not worried about misplacing mails.  Now
the problem is the sheer number of mails I'm seeing (which is closely
tied to your effectiveness-to-percent-of-mail argument) come over the
pipe.

> > My hosting friend and I are going to configure SPF for all the domains
> > handled by his service soon, and begin looking at factoring SPF into the
> > tagging process.  More than anything we expect this to gradually start
> > helping with the shotgun joe-jobbing problem (really the joe-jobbing
> > problem in general) as some of the bigger hosts begin deploying SPF as
> > well.
>
> SPF is an anti-joe-jobbing technology, with third-party cooperation.  It
> does relatively little against spam.

That's definitely why we're looking at it.

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 479
                       |  facing the changes
   random email haiku  |  in work organization