[linux-elitists] is it wrong to slam a spammer?

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Sat Sep 25 04:39:18 PDT 2004

tek wrote:
> Ok, so at the risk of quite possibly pissing off those i haven't already pissed
> off at some point before i have a question i still want to ask.
> Anyone have a copy of formfucker? or know of something else like it?

You ask about the morality of poisoning spammer's database ?  Sissy ...
  I thought your dilemna would involve a baseball bat or a crowbar.

Seriously though, anything that attack a spammer's business model is
fair game with me.  I would not condone stuff like the crapflooding that
resulted from spammer being unmasked on Slashdot recently, for example.

There is, however, something flawed wrt FormFucker as it could be used
as a DoS.  Imagine if I knew you are a sensitive spam-hater, and wanted
to fuck with a competitor.  I'll forge a spam in his name, and let YOU
do the job of fucking with him.

A better approach, IMHO, seem to be tarpitting.  It is almost impossible
to hurt an innocent bystander with this scheme, and you attack spammer's
operation directly.  Coupled with aggressive seeding of fake email in
spammer list, this have the potential to be a real annoyance to those slime.