rejecting spam at SMTP time (was Re: Postfix anti-antivirus (was Re: [linux-elitists] etc))

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Sep 24 10:19:09 PDT 2004

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 03:02:00AM -0700:

> Which user, and harder than what, Don?

Alice finishes her work on a document on Friday
night, sends it to bob@example.com, and heads to
Tahoe.  The next morning, Bob can't find it in his
inbox, and fortunately doesn't have to reach either
postmaster@example.com or Alice because he can go to
his spam page and search for it.

> If you're addressing the problem from a recipient's perspective, sure.
> But for me, wading through spam means going through hundreds or
> thousands of messages.  Enough of a pain with a powerful tool such as
> mutt.  I'd hate to do that through a browser.

You can't really check all your incoming spam for
false positives any more.  But you can handle the case
of "I was expecting mail from that person around that
time" with webmail and search.

> First:  SpamAssassin will be impelementing some form of ASN/CIDR scoring
> in a near future release.  In its simplest form, this means that the
> network-of-origin will be determined and an overall spaminess/haminess
> rating for it computed (and likely a volume metric as well).  This all
> pretty much just falls out of creating a token and letting the Bayesian
> classifier go to town on it.

The more tokens the better.  Even something as simple
as a time-of-day/day-of-week token could help catch
mail that originated outside the time zone or zones of
your regular correspondents.

> Second:  reporting of such stats may be of some utility in getting
> networks to shape up.  While my top contributor, KORNET, has held its
> first-place ranking for the nine months I've watched, several other
> players (notably Telstra and SBC) have entered and exited the top five
> slots.  I don't know if it's me, but it's pretty clear that if you can
> be readily classified and identified as a spamhaus, _and_ you have
> legitimate business interests at odds with that moniker, you might want
> to fix the problem.

Dude, I think you could be the next Netcraft here.
You have information that every marketing person
with an interest in getting legit bulk mail through
will want.

No match for "DELIVERABILITY.NET".

--
Don Marti