[linux-elitists] poor man's Google

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Sep 22 02:03:04 PDT 2004

I'm about to start a company with a friend, based on offering
high-availability/high-security hosting and virtualized company
infrastructure (companies too small to afford a sysadmin/own
infrastructure). The idea is to make this cheap, very cheap.

The initial infrastructure is a cloud of low-end root servers.
I have a list of technologies (MySQL cluster, round robin DNS, heartbeat,
GFS) I'm looking into, but I'm not sure they're compatible.

Before I wind up reinventing stuff (Google isn't that close a match actually,
being too specialized), are you familiar with similiar efforts? Have perhaps
a suggestion, based on personal experience?

Thanks.