[linux-elitists] hostname question

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Sep 20 00:02:35 PDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 07:09:32PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:

> >  Yes, that's nice.  I think VA Research was the first to think
> > of that one.  It only works on one octet, but it's nice and geeky.

No doubt some chemical faculty somewhere did it first.

> Yes, we intended to get a list of molecules with atomic weights above 102
> before we went into the move to Sunnyvale, but we had to go with the
> numbering way too soon.  I suppose there are enough compounds and stuff out
> there with enough different weights that we could have some up with a way to
> go on for as many addresses as we would have liked.

Yes, though you'd have to add up the protons, not the weight. It doesn't
really scales beyond the heaviest element.

I don't expect the PSE to run out of my home network. Cluster nodes are best
labeled with numbers, anyway. 10.0.0.0/8 should be enough for that. Can
encode x,y,z in a lattice, too.