[linux-elitists] hostname question

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Sun Sep 19 15:36:33 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 20:19 -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> I've have never had a hostname on my Linux box other
> than the default localhost.
>
> Earthlink is my ISP and I have a 56k modem.

Gads, Earthlink with Spam-Protection? Ick... worst thing since Moldy
Bread. But, I won't hold that ag'in ya. Providing that I don't get a
Effink Challenge-ski.

> I want to learn about the Linux kernel and device drivers.
> I planned on using BitKeeper for change management.
> It appears BitKeeper requires a hostname in order to
> set up a repository.

You want to learn about Linux and Device Drivers, using BitKeeper?

Doesn't seem Elitist to me. (But then I ask questions that should be on
a Psycho list, sometimes)

> The manpage for  hostname states:
>
> The  host name is usually set once at system startup in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by  reading
> the  contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g.
> /etc/hostname).
>
> I could not find /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, /etc/init.d/boot, and
> /etc/hostname files.

That completely dependent on the distribution you have installed. Some
use the BSD style init and other use the Sys V style init. I like both,
but since Debian uses Sys V init style, that is what I prefer :)

Slackware uses BSD init style.

> The manpage for hostname then states that it depends on
> the configuration - /etc/host.conf how it can be changed.

/etc/host.conf or /etc/nsswitch.conf depending on many things.

> And that if the hosts file is parsed before DNS, I
> can change it in /etc/hosts.
>
> The /etc/hosts file only contains the default localhost.
>
> How can I tell if the hosts file is parsed before DNS?
> What do I put in my hosts file for my machine so I
> have a valid hostname?

Try it. Follow the structure of the file.  something like:

#12.34.56.78	somehost.somedomain.com	alias alias alias

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.1.5	sumat.untat.com sumat

> Thank you for any advice.

No problems.
--