[linux-elitists] hostname question

Darlene Wallach wallachd@earthlink.net
Sat Sep 18 20:19:42 PDT 2004

I've have never had a hostname on my Linux box other
than the default localhost.

Earthlink is my ISP and I have a 56k modem.

I want to learn about the Linux kernel and device drivers.
I planned on using BitKeeper for change management.
It appears BitKeeper requires a hostname in order to
set up a repository.

The manpage for  hostname states:

The  host name is usually set once at system startup in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by  reading
the  contents of a file which contains the host name, e.g.
/etc/hostname).

I could not find /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, /etc/init.d/boot, and
/etc/hostname files.

The manpage for hostname then states that it depends on
the configuration - /etc/host.conf how it can be changed.
And that if the hosts file is parsed before DNS, I
can change it in /etc/hosts.

The /etc/hosts file only contains the default localhost.

How can I tell if the hosts file is parsed before DNS?
What do I put in my hosts file for my machine so I
have a valid hostname?

Thank you for any advice.

Darlene