[linux-elitists] Re: Elitist IM

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 7 05:23:40 PDT 2004

on Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 06:18:26AM +0200, Steffen Beyer (sbeyer@reactor.de) wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:50:33 -0400
> Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > So, what do you guys use ?  Good ol'IRC, one of the big three (AOL, MSN,
> > ICQ), your own Jabber network, something else entirely ?

Generally IRC, frequently (and multiple-ly) found on irc.freenode.net in
various debian, project, and LUG channels.  Though my idle time can run
in the days.

I find IM in general more distracting than helpful.  A small group to
toss comments to periodically, cool.  A high-volume, high-quality
support channel (e.g.:  #debian), likewise.  Idle chatter?  I've got
better ways to waste my time.

Peace.

    Google is, for all intents, a blind user.  A billionaire blind user
    with tens of millions of friends, all of whom hang on his every
    word.  I suspect Google will have a stronger impact than the ADA in
    building accessible websites.
    - Karsten M. Self