[linux-elitists] Elitist IM

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Mon Sep 6 19:40:55 PDT 2004

begin  Etienne Goyer  quotation:
> So, what do you guys use ?  Good ol'IRC, one of the big three (AOL,
> MSN, ICQ), your own Jabber network, something else entirely ?

	I've been using IRC since 1989, so it's a tough habit to
break.  You find a good small network and a private channel and it
works well enough.  The big problem with jabber is that the clients
all still suck, and there's no way to enforce policy on your network
(I managed to troll the developer channel for three hours and piss
them off royally once, and they had NO RECOURSE to get rid of me.  And
THEY WROTE THE SOFTWARE!)

	But IRC has a broad selection of clients, the (severely
misdesigned) protocol has had a great many features wedged into it,
and it's just sort of the old embarassing standard of the net.  I'd
love to see something kick it off its smug little throne, but people
keep writing new servers with services and crypto and all sorts of
useful patches.

	If you really want an elitist system, check out gale.

--
"Man, if everything were object-oriented then rsync         Nick Moffitt
could do this already. Of course, if everything were       nick@zork.net