[linux-elitists] Elitist IM

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Mon Sep 6 18:50:33 PDT 2004

Greeting fellows,

I never saw the need for IM before, before we (my LUG) are organising an
event and the mailing list just don't keep up.  We need a faster, more
reactive communication channel.  Phone is out of question (sooooo 20th
century !).  IRC may do it, but I find it somewhat distracting as I may
not be interested in every conversation, and I always forget my X-Chat
window in the background anyway.  Really, this look like a job for IM.

Now, I would never be caught dead using one of the "cute" service such
as ICQ, and I don't want to condone the protocol war that seem to be
going on with AOL and MSN.  The only option seem to be running my own
Jabber server.  I am not opposed to that, except I could do without the
installation hassle and baby sitting that ensue.

So, what do you guys use ?  Good ol'IRC, one of the big three (AOL, MSN,
ICQ), your own Jabber network, something else entirely ?