[linux-elitists] advice needed Microsoft/Turkey is anti Mozilla (but pro-Dillo!)

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller@columbus.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 10:29:34 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:57:27AM +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:
>On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 01:41 -0400, Mister Bad wrote:
>> On Wed, 2004-20-10 at 12:33 +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:
>> > The recent versions of Flash also include a native Linux Sorenson
>> > video codec.
>> Thank you Macromedia for making proprietary crap software that works
>> natively on my preferred Free operating system.
>Personally, I'd rather have support for what's out there provided by a
>proprietary codec that runs and is maintained on Linux than a Windows
>DLL run through mplayer.

Myself, I'd rather use FFMpeg's SVQ1 and SVQ3 decoders than either.
(There's an encoder for SVQ1 only.  I don't consider this a fault.)
Bonus: Source code available under a Free Software license (LGPL to be
precise).  Bonus bonus: The aforementioned MPlayer can be linked to the
aforementioned decoders.  It's not like, y'know, there's an absolute
choice between different varieties of binary black box necessary here.
--
Matthew Miller <mwmiller@columbus.rr.com>