[linux-elitists] advice needed Microsoft/Turkey is anti Mozilla (but pro-Dillo!)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Oct 20 08:00:58 PDT 2004

begin  Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 01:57:02AM +0300:

> The issue isn't that we should care about unreachablity in an MS site.
> The issue, for me anyway, is that MS is trying something here that
> they are not in the US.  And I don't think it is a good idea for them
> to get away with it.

I can't really be positive about the possiblity
of success for a campaign like this without power
behind it.

The only countries and companies that MSFT is ever
nice to are the ones that have a credible Free
Software capability.  If you want them to be nice
in your country, sell a Free project to a company
or government department, get your picture in the
paper, repeat.  A few of those and MSFT will flip the
"no threat"/"threat" switch, and you'll have a whole
new set of problems ("Psst!  Hey kid!  Sign this
Shared Source NDA!")

The media love giving attention to anything that
represents a change in a trend or an established
industry.  When you have a free software success,
try the general media, and don't waste too much
time on the IT media.  I hear that outside the USA,
where MSFT has batshit-crazy country managers, they
can be heavy-handed with the co-op ad money when an
publication gives much coverage to free software.

Never mention anything to the media that seems to
come from a position of weakness, or complaining
about unfairness on MSFT's part.  They know how
to handle that, and it only makes them seem more
powerful.  If your first contact with the media is
complaining about JavaScript stuff on their site,
that would be counterproductive.  What works is to
practice the air of "quiet inevitablity" -- you know,
"Just as Microsoft Windows replaced CP/M and MS-DOS,
Linux is the new thing replacing Microsoft Windows.
Isn't progress great, and by the way, check out
the tabs on this web browser.  Want to try it?"

Most people have honest faces and can't do quiet
inevitability unless they have a record of success
to back it up.

MSFT rewards loyalty with contempt, but drops
everything to butter up anyone who flips them
the bird.  This is a problem for them long term --
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041020/sfw077_1.html --
but I think it's a corporate culture thing.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/