[linux-elitists] advice needed Microsoft/Turkey is anti Mozilla (but pro-Dillo!)

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Tue Oct 19 20:46:13 PDT 2004

On 20 Oct 2004, Bulent Murtezaoglu <bm@acm.org> wrote:

> Elitists, I need ideas.  It seems MS Turkey is implementing a
> javascript hack for their consumer security page that that makes it
> unviewable on any non-MS browser with javascript turned on.

So?  It's pretty easy to work around, and most people who need to
worry about MS security have IE installed.  It's not like Firefox
requires you to uninstall IE.

> var userAgent = navigator.userAgent;

> My somewhat biased interpretation was, of course, that this is in the
> same league as the DR-DOS error trick with the same intentions.

I'd attribute it to lack of testing rather than malice.  It's fair for
them to assume people are using IE.  Sites about Linux software
probably don't rigorously test under IE.

> Apparently there's some verbiage
> that pops up warning about non-MS software that needs 'fixing' on XP
> SP2 installation which they take to mean firefox.  (Why they are
> running windows is another story for another time).

Firefox is so superior these days that even some Microsoft employees
admit they use it rather than IE.

 - No popup/popunder ads

 - Optional ad banner blocking, and optional flash blocking through a
   plugin

 - No ActiveX controls

 - Gorgeous UI

 - Tabs

 - Typeahead search

Anyone so cowed by Microsoft as to be unable to even think about
evaluating an alternative deserves what they get.  It's supposed to be
a free market: Microsoft are your supplier, not your master.  Treat
them mean, keep them keen.

> they think MS will issue a service pack and make their machine
> unbootable.

Well, that may happen whether you install Firefox or not.

> What I need from the elitists is ideas that will help put the fear
> of $deity into MS/Turkey.

Microsoft's fearfulness or hubris is an irrelevant measure.

If you want to help people, I suggest you hand out Firefox CDs,
TheOpenCD and Knoppix and let them decide for themselves.  Pick
meaningful battles.  "Even freedom needs a demo".

--
Martin