[linux-elitists] advice needed Microsoft/Turkey is anti Mozilla (but pro-Dillo!)

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Tue Oct 19 15:42:17 PDT 2004

* Bulent Murtezaoglu (bm@acm.org) [041019 17:27]:
> http://www.microsoft.com/turkiye/guvenlik/
>
> which is pretty much the same as
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/
>
> I wrote a short article about this which got published in places that
> get a relatively large leadership.  People read and agreed and some
> cheered, but nothing has changed on that site (as of 5 s ago).  It
> is unclear what their intention is actually since the code in
> question is:
>
> var userAgent = navigator.userAgent;
> var MSIEIndex = userAgent.indexOf("MSIE");
> if (userAgent.indexOf("Win")  == -1 ||
> 	userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") == -1 ||
> 	userAgent.substring((MSIEIndex + 5),(MSIEIndex + 8)) < 5.5)
> 	window.location.replace("default.htm");
>
> which then 404s on default and and takes you back to the main page.

Most of the reasons I can think of for caring about this leave me at
"feh."  Microsoft isn't going to care that they're excluding 3rd-party
browsers (hell, that's a feature to them, right?), and nobody on the
planet is surely surprised that Microsoft is abusing their monopoly
position.  I can't really get worked up about not being able to visit
any page on microsoft.com either.

But, if you really must get there, Firefox has a "User Agent Switcher"
extension that lets you switch to reporting "IE6" or whatever else you
want.  I just tried the page in question and it works fine using that
extension.  Opera supports this natively, IIRC, and most non-IE browsers
have some workaround to deal with brain-dead or obnoxious coding like
this.

What was the question again?  Oh, and what, exactly, does this have to
do with "GNOME > you"?

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 680
                       |  then it has to be
   random email haiku  |  something with the speak freely