[linux-elitists] advice needed Microsoft/Turkey is anti Mozilla (but pro-Dillo!)

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Tue Oct 19 15:25:13 PDT 2004

Elitists, I need ideas.  It seems MS Turkey is implementing a
javascript hack for their consumer security page that that makes it
unviewable on any non-MS browser with javascript turned on.

The page in question is:

http://www.microsoft.com/turkiye/guvenlik/

which is pretty much the same as

http://www.microsoft.com/security/

I wrote a short article about this which got published in places that
get a relatively large leadership.  People read and agreed and some
cheered, but nothing has changed on that site (as of 5 s ago).  It
is unclear what their intention is actually since the code in
question is:

var userAgent = navigator.userAgent;
var MSIEIndex = userAgent.indexOf("MSIE");
if (userAgent.indexOf("Win")  == -1 ||
	userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") == -1 ||
	userAgent.substring((MSIEIndex + 5),(MSIEIndex + 8)) < 5.5)
	window.location.replace("default.htm");

which then 404s on default and and takes you back to the main page.

My somewhat biased interpretation was, of course, that this is in the
same league as the DR-DOS error trick with the same intentions.  I
know people here who are scared to install Firefox in their windows
boxes because they think MS will issue a service pack and make their
machine unbootable.  Apparently there's some verbiage that pops up
warning about non-MS software that needs 'fixing' on XP SP2
installation which they take to mean firefox.  (Why they are running
windows is another story for another time).

What I need from the elitists is ideas that will help put the fear of
$deity into MS/Turkey.  Can we bring some publicity pressure to bear
from the US?  There's an enthusiastic and youngish GNU-minded crowd
here (and perhaps OSS-minded), but the MS penetration and fear factor
(+FUD) is already higher than it is in the US.  Honest mistake or not
they ought not get away with gratutious incompatibility here if the
situation will improve.  Ideally I'd like them to fear 18 yr old
enthusiasts here the next time they get bright ideas like this for
FUD.

Why should you care?  Now that it is publicised, if they don't correct
it and get away with that, they will realize they can get away with
quite a bit.  Ballmer was already here hawking stuff for a huge (>500k
PC roughly) ministry of education tender.  This is not a good time for
MS Turkey to feel they can get away with stuff.

Anyhow, on another note, dillo renders the said page just fine!

thanks,

BM

PS: there's a flash movie available:

http://ileriseviye.org/stuff/ms-flash/ms-flash.html

the rest is at
http://turk.internet.com/haber/yazigoster.php3?yaziid=11124

or if you want to see what the TR equivalent of /. looks like:
http://www.fazlamesai.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2423