[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Sun Oct 17 15:10:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 16:49 -0400, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:37:29 +1000
> Mike MacCana <mmaccana@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 22:03 -0500, Mark Allen Adams Jr. wrote:
>
> > OpenOffice and Firefox are two of Linux's * best apps...
>
> s/OpenOffice/LaTeX/
>
> If you really need a GUI: s/LaTeX/LyX/

Personally, I'll use OpenOffice's document format regardless of whether
I'm using a GUI or not. They're easily built with a few shell functions
and gzip.

> I'm unimpressed with OpenOffice's recreation of the same logical and UI
> errors that MS made.

I disagree. OpenOffice encourages good behavior by popping up the
stylist by default, encouraging the Word converts to create structured
documents. But not forcing them, which would make many Word users
abandon OOo completely and never have any chance of being shown  'the
light'.

Also, its XML. Also, it doesn't use metafont. The onscreen output of
most LaTeX documents leaves much to be desired.

> > Not eleventy billion apps mashed together with a fork.
>
> Nice metaphor.  I like that model.

Cheers.

> > Because of the improvements in Gnome, I'm starting to wonder if
> > supporting KDE is really necessary.
>
> We want to encourage yet more monopolies in the desktop definition?

No. We want to encourage work on the stuff that needs work.

Mike