[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Sun Oct 17 02:37:29 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 22:03 -0500, Mark Allen Adams Jr. wrote:

> > I love Gnome 2.8 too. If you turn on the 'desktop is home directory '
> > option, it's quite productive too - for the first time ever, i find myself
> > actually:
> >
> > a) Using the desktop.
> > b) Using a file manager in Linux.
>
> For those of us who haven't used GNOME since, well, ever, is that anything
> like KDE's setting to make /home/$foo your Desktop path?

Point taken. But I still find Gnome more compelling now.

Back when I used KDE, it was mainly cause it felt fast (Nautilus was TEH
POO first few times 'round) and I liked Konq a lot.

But since about 3.1, KDE doesn't seem to be improving that much. A
rendering tweak to KHTML, another KDE frontend to something or other.
Gnome, on the other hand, is exciting, mainly cause there seems to be
more happening in the app space. OpenOffice and Firefox are two of
Linux's * best apps, and the latest versions  fit in neatly with Gnome -
same themes, same icons, same file dialogs. Along with the installer and
config apps Red Hat use, Linux suddenly seems to have A Desktop. Not
eleventy billion apps mashed together with a fork.

Because of the improvements in Gnome, I'm starting to wonder if
supporting KDE is really necessary. Speaking for myself, and not RH, I
think Gnome 2.8 is of decent quality and the effort spent maintaining
another desktop could be better spent elsewhere.

I'll give KDE another whack once KOffice 2 is released tho.

Mike

* Don't bother pointing it out, I know.