[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Sat Oct 16 18:24:47 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 11:18 -0700, Teh Entar-Nick wrote:
> begin  J C Lawrence  quotation:
> > I've yet to see value add in any of the desktop environments.
>
> 	And I say to you that Ubuntu's 2.8 gnome install gets the hell
> out of my way.  There are no icons on the desktop, and the taskbars
> are invisible when you map M-C-A to the full-screen
> no-window-dressings maximize toggle.

I love Gnome 2.8 too. If you turn on the 'desktop is home directory ' option, it's quite
productive too - for the first time ever, i find myself actually:

a) Using the desktop.
b) Using a file manager in Linux.

I quite like Ubuntu too *submits RH specific limited sudoers file to
rawhide*. I generally dislike Debian - the timewasting install, hard for
newcomers default install, lack of balance between stability / new
technology. Ubuntu is the first Debian based distro I really, really
like.

Mike