[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Thu Oct 14 00:23:42 PDT 2004

On 13 Oct 2004, Tim Hammerquist <tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:

> grep -r WMD /usr/src/kde /usr/src/darwin

Invade first, ask questions later?

If KDE or OS X or Windows or AmigaDOS makes you happy, then I'm happy
for you.

Some number of people, including some pretty good hackers, like a
"just works" style of interface and easy installation.  Apple does a
very good job of that; GNOME does a moderately good job and is trying
to improve.

On the other hand, GNOME has the open source freedom to run on almost
any hardware, make your own changes, and to mix and match components.
(apt-get install rxvt...)  It's convenient to use the same kernel that
runs everywhere else.  It's a compromise, but it suits me.

People afraid of GNOME world domination remind me of the Spanish
Inquisition skit.  "Oh no, please don't force me to use a mildly
pleasant Unix GUI!"

--
Martin