[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Tue Oct 12 00:14:52 PDT 2004

(I saw a riced-up Skyline with the number plate 31337 the other day in
Queanbeyan, but I couldn't get a good picture.)

On 12 Oct 2004, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:08:32PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > GNOME (and Ubuntu) allow Linux users who might otherwise switch to Mac
>
> Ubuntu has x86_64 support, too. Tried it yesterday, but landed in a minimal
> system (no X) after some errors in install.

Well, hardware support is probably the hardest thing for them to fix,
for several reasons.  If OS X had to run on all the bizarre
combinations of hardware that Linux does they would probably have
trouble too.

> > OS to stay on Linux.  Opinions may vary on whether that's a good
>
> What's wrong with using several operating systems?

It's not a "wrong" thing to do.  I don't care how many you use.

However, if shortcomings in Linux mean you need to use something else
to get stuff done, then that's possibly something wrong in Linux.  I
think Ubuntu goes some way towards fixing my dissatisfactions with
Linux.  Surely Linux ought to at least be able to provide a good
workstation for Unix experts.

I can even notice a few things where GNOME seems to pull ahead of Mac.
For one thing, GNOME does not have the bizarre historical relic of
applications as opposed to windows: a separate Quit command, Alt-Tab
between apps not windows, etc.  There is still a long way to go of
course.

--
Martin