[linux-elitists] Free FPGA software on Linux

Michael Baxter mab@cruzio.com
Wed Oct 6 17:54:54 PDT 2004

Brian,

Xilinx FPGAs are the best on Earth. There are some potential solutions for
use of the tools for these devices, and there are also some accessible
free (as in freedom) tools. In addition there are numerous free hardware
netlists available.

First, you can use either the free WebPack, or a 60-day evalution copy of
a conventional tool that does run Linux. It is quite annoying that these
are Windows-only, but even this has had a solution for some time now:
http://www.polybus.com/xilinx_on_linux.html

If your hobby work can possibly fit a CPLD, there is still a free (as in
cost) design tool service called WebFitter that Xilinx provides over the
web. This supports numerous CPLD devices, including some that are the
size of FPGAs from yesteryear. Additionally very high-speed (3 nS) but
ultra-low power devices like CoolRunner are supported. Look here:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_prodcat_landingpage.jsp?title=WebFITTER

There are some incredible non-free (as in cost) but still low-cost FPGA
starter kit solutions available. This is a kit for $99 that supports a
200000-gate FPGA, which is still quite a lot of gates and flip-flops:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/productview.jsp?sGlobalNavPick=PURCHASE&sSecondaryNavPick=&category=-1210689&iLanguageID=1&category=/Xilinx+Products/Design+Resources/Design+Starter+Kits/Spartan+Starter+Kit

There is also a similar kit for a CPLD at 1/2 the cost the FPGA kit:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/productview.jsp?sGlobalNavPick=PURCHASE&sSecondaryNavPick=&category=-1210688&iLanguageID=1&category=/Xilinx+Products/Design+Resources/Design+Starter+Kits/CPLD+Design+Kit

You can use the free (as in freedom) software WINE to run the software for
these starter kits.

There was a Linux Journal article covering the Linux FPGA Tools, if you
want to see what that's like:

You can also do synthesis and simulation up to the point of implementation
tools for the particular technology CPLD or FPGA using Icarus Verilog.
Icarus Verilog is GPL'ed, and has been continuously maintained for a
decade. The tool's own maintainer uses it everyday for work with the
latest Xilinx FPGA devices.
http://www.icarus.com/
http://icarus.com/eda/verilog/

Icarus Verilog is robust and powerful, and has been covered twice in Linux
Journal. One of these articles has some nice HowTo information. Look here:

If you do prefer VHDL, IMHO the Xilinx tools are probably your best bet
because VHDL is a big language and the free tools for VHDL are mainly
simulators. I would say synthesis for FPGA is not matched nearly as well
in VHDL as what Icarus Verilog does. I could be wrong about this, but
that's been my impression for an ongoing amount of time so far.

Lastly, here's an enormous collection of open source cores, hardware
designs, and technical documentation, plus a strong user community:
http://www.opencores.org/

Kindly yours,
Michael Baxter