[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun Oct 10 12:18:08 PDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:18:02 -0700
Teh Entar-Nick <nick@teh.entar.net> wrote:
> begin J C Lawrence quotation:

>> I've yet to see value add in any of the desktop environments.

> Did you just say "value add"?  Are you now going to tell us your
> mission statement?  Do we get MARKETING COLLATERAL for the down
> payment on your opinion now?

Yup.

>> They're still enamoured of a variety of atrocious UI decision
>> decisions like icons and taskbars and do a very poor job of both
>> getting out of the way and allowing the capable user to accurately
>> control their operation and get the job done.

> And I say to you that Ubuntu's 2.8 gnome install gets the hell out of
> my way.  There are no icons on the desktop, and the taskbars are
> invisible when you map M-C-A to the full-screen no-window-dressings
> maximize toggle.  I have a large 2-D grid of workspaces, and keep
> applications maximized, navigating from workspace to workspace using
> C-M-<nethack movement key>.

I want no icons ever, not anywhere, not even suggested.  No taskbar
either.  No drag'n'drop.  Oh, and no Z-order or location sensitivity for
system controls (eg you can't reach that control because another window
is atop it).  I run 2048x1536 so that I don't need or want to run
maximised, but instead can effectively run dozen or more apps/windows
per desktop and use them all efficiently (12+ windows per desktop is not
unusual here).

> And occasionally, when I get to an empty workspace, I'll bang on one
> of the toolbar shortcuts to launch a program, or eye bubblemon, or the
> wifi or battery status apps.  It's all good stuff.

Root menus and keyboard accelerators are your friend.

> You have won the pool.

Cool.  I accept paypal or e-gold.

> The GNOME way to solve this problem is simple.  You drag the tab bar
> to one side and the setting just sticks.  Trivial UI solution to a
> really weenie problem.

Oddly enough given its triviality, the tab bar is not draggable.
Actually, there's another thing.  Getting rid of or tweaking the various
menu and toolbars on an app-by-app basis, or even using per-app toolbar
settings (eg icon, text, icon+text etc) rather than as a global setting
is just a bitch.  Heck, I'd just like to get rid of all the annoying
little icons they put in menus.  And heck, I'd like to be able to tweak
minor widget aspects without having to get in and muck with an entire
theme.  I can set scrollbacr behaviour in xterms with one ad-hoc runtime
xrdb setting for Pete's sake.

I see you didn't comment on Gnome's (or KDE's) silly assumption that
everything everywhere must have the same UI definition.  Uniformity is
for machines, not humans.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?