[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Sun Oct 10 11:05:39 PDT 2004

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 14:37:22 -0700
Nick Moffitt <nick@zork.net> wrote:

> http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/when_did_i_become_a_gnome_weenie-2004-10-09-00-31.html

> Indeed, when did we all?

Uhh, we did?

I've yet to see value add in any of the desktop environments.  They're
still enamoured of a variety of atrocious UI decision decisions like
icons and taskbars and do a very poor job of both getting out of the way
and allowing the capable user to accurately control their operation and
get the job done.

  Trivial examples of the latter: A galeon user with a text editor wants
  the tabs in Galeon to be displayed along the RHS of the window instead
  of the along the top.  How does he find out what control file to edit
  and what does he do to it?  Heck, I do have my tabs on the right and
  have preserved that setting via having $HOME under source control, but
  Gnome has moved that setting about enough that I've no idea where or
  how it is currently stored.

  A Gnome|KDE user is using &whatever; theme.  However he has one
  particular application which he uses differently from others and he
  wants its GUI controls to be handled differently (eg very large font
  for the menus as he uses it only via projector, or differing KB and UI
  bindings as he only uses it via shared desktops with remote users).
  How to do?  In the normal .Xdefaults world this is trivial stuff.  The
  new world is a large step back.

I run no KDE apps and precisely one Gnome app here: Galeon.  I'd like to
move from Galeon to Firefox, but the Tab Extensions module for Firefox
is not yet as polished as Galeon's tab support and thus can't quite do
what I want.

--
J C Lawrence
claw@kanga.nu               He lived as a devil, eh?