[linux-elitists] GNOME still > you

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Sat Oct 9 14:37:22 PDT 2004

http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/when_did_i_become_a_gnome_weenie-2004-10-09-00-31.html

Indeed, when did we all?  It's pretty amazing how GNOME managed to
shake off the lunacy of 2.0 to make a rough but decent release by 2.2.
Each release since (2.4, 2.6, 2.8) has been a sensible progression
toward speed and integration.  It's amazing how well one system can
work well for dedicated hacker-types and complete newbies alike.

And the best thing is that the GNOME folks have taken what they've
learned (calendar releases are a hell of a lot more productive than
milestone releases, since the alternative causes everyone to rush
their crap into the imminent release because they know it'll be two
years until they get another chance) and applied it to Debian.

It's still tailing out of beta, but Ubuntu (http://ubuntulinux.org)
has blown my mind.  Not only are they working on the same six-month
release schedule as GNOME (partly so that they can be used as a
showcase platform for same), but they manage to make the whole system
more easily administered in a number of ways.

Number one is sudo.  Ubuntu is the first sudo-based distro I've seen.
By default, root's password hash is a big ol' *.  Every system-config
operation is launched with gksudo, so the user knows that the next
step could make big changes.  It's good stuff.

Of course, no distro today would be complete without a demo liveCD.  I
haven't played with the liveCD version yet, but it may soon become my
favorite "this is GNU" intro for complete newbies.

http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/releases/warty/preview/live-i386.iso

--
"virii" would be the plural of the mythical masculine          Nick Moffitt
noun "virius". The neuter plural of "virus" would be     nick@teh.entar.net