[linux-elitists] Re: Point of order

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Tue Nov 30 20:55:13 PST 2004

In the immortal words of Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org>:
> <quote who="Don Marti">
>
> > Point of order.
> >
> > gmail.com is a webmail service that, as far as I can tell, does not apply
> > a User-Agent header to show the browser being used.  So all From:
> > .*gmail.com posts have to be filtered out.
>
> That said, gmail itself is the email client, and it is proprietary software.

  Remember how cool we all thought Google was when they were running
  Google Linux Servers using bare motherboards on exposed trays?

  http://blog.topix.net/archives/000016.html

  Google has done a lot with Free / Open Source software over the years,
  but that seems to have been motivated more by keeping overheads low
  than by scruples. After all, they run Orkut on Windows with ASP.NET:

  http://www.forret.com/projects/analyze/?url=http://www.orkut.com/PwdForgot.aspx

  and of course Gmail's web interface is proprietary (although someone
  could use Free Software, like Mozilla Thunderbird, to POP their Gmail
  account -- where do you draw the line in that case, Don?)

  What's even more interesting to me is the way that Google has racked
  up so many "punk points" from their early days, and from opening up
  their APIs and whatnot, that people seem to be falling all over
  themselves to give Google the kind of demographic information that
  you'd usually try very hard to keep away from a huge tech company.
  Even people who are reasonably intelligent, tech-savvy, and clueful
  about their privacy in the digital domain seem to trust Google to an
  astonishing degree. "I don't mind if they build up a database of key
  words in my emails and use it to target me for advertising -- at least
  their advertising is discreet and tasteful!"

--
/home/modus/.signature