[linux-elitists] Shipit...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Sat Nov 27 23:23:59 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 17:29 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Greg Folkert">
>
> > Of course my constant cursing at Windows and the booting into the liveCD
> > to fix the things, kinda helped them to understand.
>
> Did the LiveCD work reliably for you? We've had some reports of reboots on
> bootsplash completion and stuff like that.

Yeah, there was a few machines that did have some issues with the
LiveCD. But I worked out all the problems. Mostly came down to APM/ACPI
and "Plug-n-Play OS Installed?" turning everything off or opposite what
it was, fixed all of them, except 2. Those 2 required a BIOS Battery
removal and/or reset of the BIOS.

Some customers (yeah, that is what they are) even allowed us to update
all the firmware in the machines. This also fixed most everything we
encountered on the Intel/AMD side of things.

On the PPC side of things, Bob said the setup and so on was "like a
hot-knife through butter." I can't confirm this, as I really didn't even
help out on that area, most of the "work" was on the Intel/AMD area.

> > The change is too dramatic to figure out how they LIKE-liked it, in that
> > short of time.
>
> Yeah, hopefully the dual-booters will explore it a bit too.

I truly hope so, Most of the dual-booters were frustrated with Windows
(ye-haaaw) and its myriad of "issues". We even fixed the Windoze side
just as a measure of goodwill. Well, at least I did.

> Cool!
Nope! HOT! HOT! HOT!
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net