[linux-elitists] Shipit...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Sat Nov 27 21:11:28 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 17:26 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Greg Folkert">
>
> > After all this, here is what I got to take home, as compared to the
> > disks I brought along:
> >
> > 0 - PowerPC
> > 15 - AMD64
> > 0 - x86
> >
> > I could have given out 5 times the amount of x86 and about double the
> > PowerPC stuff.
> >
> > All in all a good day.
>
> Awesome! What kind of reaction were you getting from the new Linux users?
Good reactions, many "myths" busted. Learning curve pretty much made
gentle. Many people amazed at the "Hobby OS" and so many "things" and so
many way to do stuff.

A few, ditched Windows completely. The two I helped "convert", brought
computers in, hopefully, to be recovered from BSOD and Spyware/Adware
problems, tremendous instability. Of course my constant cursing at
Windows and the booting into the liveCD to fix the things, kinda helped
them to understand.

One used Solaris at work... so it just felt right to him anyway. (this
is a GOOD thing)

> Did they like what they were getting? :)
Yes. Many actually preferred the interface vs. the Windows
ad-infinitum.

The change is too dramatic to figure out how they LIKE-liked it, in that
short of time.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is