[linux-elitists] Shipit...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Fri Nov 26 22:16:21 PST 2004

Well, I got my "packages" from
shipit.ubunutulinux.org today ~ 11AM EST GMT-0500

I got a phone call from a friend putting on a computer class. He was in
a panic, there were more than just x86 machines coming along. I got to
take the CDs along.

I took along:
15 - PowerPC Install CD
30 - AMD64 Install CD
60 - x86 LiveCD and Install CD

After ~6 Hours of helping out and showing people some wonderful new
things... We got to use the companies Internet connection. Every single
Windows machine got Grisoft AVG, various ADware/Spyware removal tools,
Firefox, Thunderbird and various sundry other things.

MAC PPC machines got similar stuff, as one of the other people my friend
called was a Serious MAC head.

Between the three of us, we were able to help everyone do multi-boot
setups. The magic on the PPC, I wish I had paid more attention to it.

We also helped by making sure every OS was up to date with all patches
and updates from said manufacturers/vendors.

We only had one problem machine... an IBM T42 Laptop. It turned out to
have defective hardware.

After all this, here is what I got to take home, as compared to the
disks I brought along:

0 - PowerPC
15 - AMD64
0 - x86

I could have given out 5 times the amount of x86 and about double the
PowerPC stuff.

All in all a good day.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net