Mozilla/Firefox issues rant (was Re: [linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 25 15:50:42 PST 2004

on Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:26:14PM -0500, Etienne Goyer (etienne.goyer@videotron.ca) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >    Profiles.  What.  The.  Fsck.
> >    -----------------------------
> > [...snip...]
> >

> >    I suspect there's an explanation for the whole profile system, but
> >    I'd rather see it scrapped than anyone even waste the time trying to
> >    justify it.  It's borken.
>
> I have not read your entire post (heavy!), but regarding this
> particuliar point, I can see a use for mutliple profile per user.  You
> could, for example, have an ultra-paranoid profile (no Java/javascript,
> no loading image from different server, plugin disabled, etc) for your
> pr0^Wregular browsing, and one more functionnal for your intranet.  This
> specific example would be better served with a "zone"-based security
> model, but you get my drift.  You might have different profile setted
> with different eye candy to suit your mood and so on.

If this were the case, then you'd want to have the profiles availed on a
site-by-site (or on-demand) basis.  There's a bit of a toss-up:  do you
want control where you _can_ invoke a profile where desired, or would
you be better served by not having to _remember_ to switch to high or
low security contexts?  Either is a bit of a kluge.

Both Don and Rick have noted several times in several places that it's
disturbing to find that there are no browsers which support sandboxed
operation, still, in this age, within the GNU/Linux world.

That really is an issue, and isn't well served by the profiles scheme
under Mozilla, AFAICT.

Peace.

   GNU/Linux web browsing mini review:  Galeon v1.2.5.  Kicks ass.
     http://galeon.sourceforge.org/