Mozilla/Firefox issues rant (was Re: [linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions)

Matt Reynolds entropy@loopysoft.com
Wed Nov 24 10:57:55 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 04:46 -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>     Profiles.  What.  The.  Fsck.
>     -----------------------------
>
>     Best I can make out, Mozilla provided "user profiles" for when the
>     bulk of users were under DOS-based legacy MS Windows derivative
>     environments, lacking true user seperation.  And what didn't exist
>     in the OS was provided for at the application level.  I'm finding
>     profiles are a PITA on both 'Doze and 'Nix, least of all because the
>     first thing a user is prompted for is to create a profile.  *Very*
>     oddly, there's a default one which exists in legacy MS Windows
>     that's not used, on the systems I admin at work.  Under 'Nix, the
>     concept makes little if any sense.  Possible negative sense.  And on
>     'Doze, I find that if I've got simultaneous logins, my one profile
>     suddenly morphs into a half-score, each with its own cache, cookies,
>     and other settings.  Why is this?
>
>     I suspect there's an explanation for the whole profile system, but
>     I'd rather see it scrapped than anyone even waste the time trying to
>     justify it.  It's borken.

When I'm at work, I use ssh -X to use all the apps from my laptop on my
desktop.  I use a specific profile, different from my home browsing, for
work because I don't want questions asked about things I look up in my
personal life (my blog, news sites, etc etc).

I'd vastly prefer a coherent, context-sensitive mechanism of switching
the way I use my computer in various scenarios, but that's a way off.

I can't say that this feature offsets the complexity you listed above,
but I can see that there is a vague use for it.  I'd guess it's there
largely because Navigator had it.
--
Matt Reynolds
PGP key : http://matt.loopysoft.com/entropy@loopysoft.com.key