Mozilla/Firefox issues rant (was Re: [linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions)

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Wed Nov 24 10:26:14 PST 2004

Karsten M. Self wrote:
>     Profiles.  What.  The.  Fsck.
>     -----------------------------
 > [...snip...]
>

>     I suspect there's an explanation for the whole profile system, but
>     I'd rather see it scrapped than anyone even waste the time trying to
>     justify it.  It's borken.

I have not read your entire post (heavy!), but regarding this
particuliar point, I can see a use for mutliple profile per user.  You
could, for example, have an ultra-paranoid profile (no Java/javascript,
no loading image from different server, plugin disabled, etc) for your
pr0^Wregular browsing, and one more functionnal for your intranet.  This
specific example would be better served with a "zone"-based security
model, but you get my drift.  You might have different profile setted
with different eye candy to suit your mood and so on.

Just my 0.02$