[linux-elitists] Comprehensive list of Linux malware

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 20 16:43:51 PST 2004

on Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 04:16:02PM -0800, Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:
> > GNU/Linux in general doesn't have a tradition of self-extracting
> > distribution mechanisms, with the notable exception of a shar
> > archive (though you'll need decompression support locally here
> > anyway).
>
> 	Actually, you don't need to compress your shar payloads.

My bad....

> Also, there's a very clever uudecode one-liner you can implement in
> bourne shell.

Well, shar _can_ be a uuencoded (not compressed, my error) shell script.
It's based on the Bourne shell.  Uuencoding is used for binary data,
otherwise, the shar archive is just an ACII (or $LOCALE (?)) text file.

I discovered the uudecode dependency when attempting to use shars to
move data to a very minimally configured Debian system.  Several other
packaging utilities weren't yet available, and I assumed shar was
self-contained.  It's not (though the dependencies are minimal), but it
*is* convenient.

Peace.

  TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
    Technical docs, discussion, reviews, opinion.
      http://twiki.iwethey.org/