[linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 20 13:53:16 PST 2004

Quoting myself:

> As Firefox has changed its plugin interface, not all of these have been
> installable at any given time, but I've tended to keep around the
> following: User Agent Switcher, Mozilla Calendar (also available
> separately as Sunbird), Flashblock, and QuickTools.
                          ^^^^^^^^^^

I should clarify:  Flashblock _without_ a Macromedia Flash interpreter.

You're probably thinking "That's pretty wacky and pointless", yet
there's a mad method to my methodical madness:   Sites like LinuxToday
test for Flash capability; if yes, you get to see some annoying and
timewasting Flash advert.  If not, there's an almost equally annoying
and timewasting animated gif.  With my current setup, the Flashblock
plugin makes Firefox answer "Yes, I can handle Flash", for which markup
code Flashblock displays a placeholder icon.[1]

Ordinarily, Flashblock's purpose would be to display retrieved Flash
only when/if the user desires.  But I use it to evade both Flash adverts
and alternate animated-gif ones.  Serendipity.

[1] http://flashblock.mozdev.org/screenshots.html