[linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 20 13:36:47 PST 2004

Quoting Phil Mayers (p.mayers@imperial.ac.uk):

> Pardon? What an appalling notion.

Isn't it just?

> I've not got a hojillion plugins installed by any means, but the few
> essential FireFox ones I do have (AdBlock, Web Developer, Sage,
> SwitchProxy) are all in .whateveritis, as is Java (though the latter
> requires "java" be in the path, as well as the .so be in the plugins
> dir - eeew).

As Firefox has changed its plugin interface, not all of these have been
installable at any given time, but I've tended to keep around the
following: User Agent Switcher, Mozilla Calendar (also available
separately as Sunbird), Flashblock, and QuickTools.

I may be confusing them with prior encounters with other things, but my
recollection is that not all of those, when you attempted to "install"
the .xpi by clicking on it as a non-root user, offered to install them
to ~/.firefox/default/[something]/chrome, but instead reported
installation failure.  Thus my question.  (I gather that "installing"
for XUL critters means something beyond dropping them into a directory,
or I'd just do that manually.)

I'm not 100% sure I'd trust even selected, specified users with any part
of /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox, either, but thought the idea worth considering.

> Ah, now there you're asking. I believe that Debian has such plugins as
> sub-packages?

Oddly enough, it hadn't occurred to me to check.  That has obvious advantages.

--
Cheers,             "I used to be on the border of insanity.  However, due
Rick Moen           to pressing political concerns, I recently had to invade."