[linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions

Mike MacCana mmaccana@redhat.com
Sat Nov 20 06:35:56 PST 2004

Rick Moen wrote:

>And why do (to my knowledge) no Linux distributions have any mechanism
>to deal with this problem, short of expecting people to run large Web
>browsers with root authority?

I think the expectation is system-wide browser plugins would be packaged
and installed by an admistrative user (root in most cases).

Users only have the ability to download plugins to their own person
firefox install.

It'd  be nice if the mechanisms used were the same for system wide and
per user, but for a security point of view, I can't see too many problems.

Mike