[linux-elitists] Browser plugins and write permissions

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Nov 19 20:43:07 PST 2004

<quote who="Rick Moen">

> Is there a better way, (moreover) one more clueful about this being a
> multi-user environment?   Would it make sense to have a firefox-plugins
> group, to which users trusted with that some bundle of write privileges
> could belong?  Or some better solution that just isn't occuring to me?
>
> And why do (to my knowledge) no Linux distributions have any mechanism to
> deal with this problem, short of expecting people to run large Web
> browsers with root authority?

Check out 'apt-cache search thunderbird extension' on Debian or Ubuntu. I
don't know if there's an easily generalisable or automatable packaging tool
for extensions, but looking at the construction of these may help.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

     "Is your sense of identity inextricably bound to a large prime?" -
                               Michael Meeks