[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Nov 17 17:02:07 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:47:41AM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> I'd really like if rather than just producing tarballs they could
> produce RPMS which carry dependency information with them, and if
> there was a more complete selection of GRP binaries.

'man ebuild' shows this option for ebuild:
       rpm    Builds a RedHat RPM  package  from  the  files  in  the  temporary
              install directory. At the moment, the ebuild's dependency informa-
              tion is not incorporated into the RPM.

So people have thought about this in the past.  Odds are, this feature
has some oddities, and as you mention, no dependancy info is present.
But it's not an impossible dream :)

thanks,

greg k-h