[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Martin Pool mbp@sourcefrog.net
Wed Nov 17 16:47:41 PST 2004

On 17 Nov 2004, Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com> wrote:

> gentoo will probably develop (may already have for all I know) hybrid
> schemes around package management that allow the flexibility of their
> current model and the transactionness of extant binary-based models, but
> until that happens I'm not sure that they have a place in most
> "enterprise" environments (that is, until you can run a level 1
> diagnostic, it's now allowed on the bridge).

I'm not sure what you mean by transactionness; if you mean that
packages are semi-atomically installed and upgraded then it already
does that.  This is a big advantage of Gentoo over merely doing "make
install" from random source trees -- it remembers where files came
from and can remove or upgrade them cleanly.  I imagine Gentoo tends
to increase entropy less than say LFS.

This is why saying "well, you can just build from source on Debian
too" is not a full answer: if you do that, the installed files are not
managed or controlled.  (OK, you can use stow, but it's kludgy to need
to introduce a second package manager.)  Building a new deb from
unpackaged source is a lot of work for the inexperienced; making a new
ebuild is pretty trivial.

I'd really like if rather than just producing tarballs they could
produce RPMS which carry dependency information with them, and if
there was a more complete selection of GRP binaries.

--
Martin