[linux-elitists] Gentoo Linux Releases 2004.3 (fwd from brian-slashdotnews@hyperreal.org)

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Nov 17 15:03:22 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 14:25, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 10:44:45AM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > What is resident elitists' opinion about forthcoming Gentoo server (stable
> > enterprise Gentoo)? Or is Gentoo and server an oxymoron?
>
> It's not an oxymoron at all.  If you have employees that can handle the
> different package churn, and know how to properly customize a box with
> the correct packages, Gentoo is a great solution.

I don't have strong feelings, but I should point out what I think is a
flaw in your statement: "If you have employees that can handle" should
be written as "If you have employees that do now, and will in the future
have time to handle."

This was one of the flaws in the reasoning around the adoption of Linux
in the first place. Fortunately as the problem became obvious (systems
began to rot), distributions began to back-fill with increasingly
sophisticated package management and update schemes.

gentoo will probably develop (may already have for all I know) hybrid
schemes around package management that allow the flexibility of their
current model and the transactionness of extant binary-based models, but
until that happens I'm not sure that they have a place in most
"enterprise" environments (that is, until you can run a level 1
diagnostic, it's now allowed on the bridge).

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs